Subject: Re: [Harp-L] amp cosmetic repair/clean

Attila Czig writes:

"As to the grill cloth, I have no idea, except maybe to remove it and  hand
> wash or replace it.

This is the thing the most I am  interested in. I dont want to replace it,
because I could not find same  grille cloth. But what is good for cleaning
that?
I dont want to harm  too.
A."

.......What I would try first before anything is to very gently brush out
all dust/grime with a clothes brush, old soft toothbrush (or old  shaving brush
if you're lucky to have one).   If that isn't  sufficient, then before  hand
washing, I'd try pinning the cloth out  onto a flat surface (ironing board?)
over a few towels....then use a spray or  liquid upholstery cleaner (I used to
use one by Resolve).  If I  remember, I believe the method is to use a damp
sponge to gently work the  product into the cloth, lifting out the stains as you
go.

 If you have to leave the cloth in place on the speaker, the same  product
might work as well, but you'd have to take care to put something behind  the
cloth to protect the works from the spray.

If you have to hand-wash, you'll probably get it clean, but it will remove
any body or stiffness from the fabric.  This can possibly be replaced by  use
of a spray starch and ironing several times (several applications)  through
some thicknesses of cloths or towels.

There's also possibly DRYEL....I've used that with excellent results for
lots of fine unwashable fabrics.   Most supermarkets/drug stores carry  the
kit...you remove stains with a treated cloth, place the item in a velcro'ed  bag
with another cloth then toss the whole thing into the dryer for 30 timed
minutes.   It comes out clean, refreshed and smelling  good.   Not sure it can be
used for this type of material,  though.  Good luck.
Elizabeth