[Harp-L] Fwd: Re: Condolences for Mr Tate and his family

--- In SlideMeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "hojo2849" <hojo2849@xxxx> wrote:

--- In SlideMeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ri58066217@xxxx wrote:

> Douglas Tate was a friend and great harmonica artist. I first met
him at a
> SPAH harmonica festival in the 1990s. He had developed a special
way of
> projecting the sound of his 3 octave chromatic harmonica, without
the use of
> amplification. I will miss him and his wonderful harmonica playing.
>
> Richard Martin

>From HOJO: To the family of Mr. Tate and all who knew him:

Reading the posts about Mr. Tate, there seemed to be an agreement
that he was:

1. a great, kind human being.
2. had a great sense of humor.
3. a great, world championship and professional harmonica player.
4. a great recording artist.
5. a great harmonica designer and customizer.
6. a great harmonica teacher.
7. a great harmonica method books author.

But there was much more to Mr. Tate. I call him Mr. Tate out of
respect, because I only met him once, at the SPAH Convention in
'97, when he was introducing the Rennaisance harmonica.

He had just recently been elected president of SPAH, so everybody
wanted some of his time.

I wanted to thank him for the SPAH Lifetime Achievement Music
Educator Award that he authorized, to be presented to a Milwaukee
area nun who spent her lifetime playing and teaching harmon