[Harp-L] Re: [Harp On!] The angels' portion

Very well said, Winslow... and so apropos...

I would be honored, perhaps, next time we meed, to
lift a dram of single malt in his honor.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

--- Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When a barrel of whiskey is stored to age, a
> portion of it vanishes over time. This can be
explained by the
> porousness of the wood, evaporation, and so
forth, but the
> name for the vanished whiskey is rather poetic:
the angel's
> portion.
>
> The longer the whiskey ages, the finer it
> becomes, and the greater becomes the angels'
portion. One
> could say that the angels replace what they take
in volume
> with excellence in what remains.
>
> Douglas Tate was a lover of fine whiskeys, and
many of my best
> moments with him were over the so-called breath
of life.
> He stayed with us just over seventy -one years.
Judging by the
> man we knew, the angels' portion must have been
very large,

http://farechase.yahoo.com