Re: [Harp-L] Douglas W. R. Tate

Hi All,

Bobbie said:

Goodnight forever, My Lagan Love
You shall always be *my* Renaissance

Till we meet again, dear one...
Sweet dreams

Let these thoughts guide us.

I was devastated to hear of Doug's passing. I was well aware that this would happen sometime soon, but I never quite prepared myself for the reality of it. Doug had been ill for several months and I should have been prepared for the inevitable. However, when it comes to a person as vibrant and alive as Doug Tate, the inevitable is hard to accept.

I read with great interest all the posts to the list about Doug. It seems like everything has been covered. Still, Doug was so special to me that I need to let you know how I feel.

Doug always took an interest in me. Even before we had met he gave me the greatest respect and love that a person can ask for. Over the years, Doug has been more than a mentor to me. He supported me and encouraged me throughout all my different phases. Without Doug, I not only would not have been the harmonica player that I am, but also the person that I am. Doug was full of love and care for those around him. He made everyone feel special. There are too few of his kind in the world today.

Doug had a tremendous intellect. He was one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. He also had a world class sense of humor. I remember fondly each moment I spent with him. Wonder and laughter were abundant during those times. Doug truly enriched the world around him and left a deep impression on all he encountered.

I should also mention that Doug was extremely talented with the harmonica. He played, built and repaired them in a way that few will ever equal. I am extremely lucky to own a harmonica that he and Bobbie Giordano built for me. I can promise you that this was specifically built for me and that the personal touches that he and Bobbie added were for my benefit specifically. As many have said, Doug's contributions to the harmonica world were great and numerous. The harmonica world benefited greatly from him.

Doug also teamed up with Danny Wilson to bring the plight of Harp-L to the attention of SPAH. Without this effort we would not have the list we have today. He personally encouraged me to become as involved as possible to help safeguard the future of this list. We all owe him a great debt of gratitude.

Despite all the wonderful things that Doug accomplished for the harmonica world, I will always remember him as the special individual he was. It's hard for me to think of him as just "Doug the harmonica virtuoso" or "Doug the president of SPAH". Doug was far more special to me than that and it will be some time before I recover from his passing.

Doug, I will never forget you and neither will anyone else. I hope to see you when my time comes.

Michael Polesky