[Harp-L] Re: Douglas Tate

This is sad news indeed-- my deepest condolences to Barbara and all of Douglas's family and friends. T'was only in August when I saw him last, at Blues Week in Northampton, and although he was ailing a bit, his outrageous humour was certainly still in full bloom. When I thanked him for dropping by, his eyes twinkled and he said, "Well, I was just dying to see you." I didn't know whether to burst out laughing or give him a hug, so I did both. :)

Living on this side of the pond, I didn't know Douglas as well as Roger or Bobbie or many of you here on the L did. But my respect for him was boundless and I always looked forward to crossing his path, whether at UKHL gatherings, NAMM, SPAH or wherever it was. Somehow I thought I'd be seeing him again at Blues Week next summer, but I guess I'll have to wait now.

I just took a listen to some of Douglas' very fine playing at http://www.douglastate.com/media/17%20Trad.mp3 Give it a listen -- absolutely lovely (and poignant) stuff.

Cheers, my friend, and even though some of us only play the shorties, save us a spot. :)

-- Tom Ball, lighting a candle and popping a Guinness.