[Harp-L] Douglas Tate

Douglas deserves our continuing respect and gratitude for all that he did for harmonica players in general and for SPAH in particular. I have done enough harmonica fabrication to understand what a Herculean effort the Rennaissance Harmonica must have been for him and for Bobby. I loved to hear him play. He was taken from us long before we were prepared to let him go.

Over the years, Douglas was my worthy oponent in debating the acoustic principles of the harmonica. Although our disagreements were emphatic, neither of us lost respect or affection for each other. I know that our heated discussions helped me clarify my thinking about what makes a harmonica work the way it does, and I believe that it did the same for him and for others on harp-l.

I have archived a harp-l post from Douglas in which he refers to me as a "good friend"..........

I'm proud of that.

Vern Smith