[Harp-L] what's the policy on self promotion etc?

Will you get into trouble if every post you send to the list has a
signature line at the bottom advertising some aspect of your harmonica
related business?  Well, mostly no.  If the signature line was 8 lines
long then yes.

Will you get into trouble for posting something for sale or a CD
announcement more than once a month?  Perhaps, if you've got a new CD out
or a new product we want to hear about it but if it goes on too long I
will write a short note asking the person to please follow the guide lines
of once a month.  This has happened exactly once.

All of these guidelines were written years ago when 386's were the norm
Netscape 1.0 ruled the world and bandwidth cost a lot of money.  ASCII
text was the only thing available and people didn't use free internet
services that added lines to the botom of every post letting you know how
wonderful freemail.com is.  We were also on a college internet site.
Commercial content was a big no no.  It's not like it's really changed all
that much so were not going to edit the guidelines.  We thought about
changing things when we migrated servers but after giving it a lot of
thought we liked the historical context of leaving it all like it was.
It's not as if there's a problem, we're not being inundated with
commercial content so please do let us know if you have something you want
to sell us but be reasonable and follow the spirit of the guidelines.  It
is very common for people to write me asking for permission to advertise
and event or service or recording.  I like the ritual of politeness this
involves but it's not a necessary step in the process.  fjm
harp-l-listowner