[Harp-L] Re: 545 was: LW and monarch mc 24

From: "Ralf K. Buschner" <r_buschner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fwd:  [Harp-L] 545 was: LW and monarch mc 24
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:55:41 +0100

John K. wrote:

> *****Yeah, those old 545's are no good!  Let's lower the demand and
> keep the prices down for me.  :-)
> No insult intended.  Personally, I don't find that they feed real
> bad.  And I'm glad LW didn't play one; it would just drive the price
> up higher -- it's tough enough that Butter did!  (It's my current
> fav -- that's why I felt compelled to reply.)

The 545 is my fav with the Bassman RI too.
Concerning the hype pushing the price:
I have one of those big Argonne crystal mics, known as "Big Walter mic", also
known as Calrad and several other brands. But there is no real hype about
this type of mic, so they go rather cheap.
I don't like it that much, it sounds kinda hollow for me.

cu,
Ralf

Hey Ralf...

I have one of those Calrad 400C Models I tricked out up on Ebay
right now. Here's the hot tip for making them sound twice as nice,
and a super easy "no cost" trick to boot:

You might try moving the crystal element to the front of the shell
for about twice the cut/punch/gain. These type of Jap Green Bullets
have the element set about 2 to 3 inches deep inside the shell. On
top of the crystal are two peices of light aluminum sheeting that are
formed together into an X....this is used as a spacer...then there is
a large pressure washer that is creased, then the grill goes back on.
It's easy to remove these spacers and the element...IF the wires are
long enough to do so without having to re-soldering. Just place the
aluminium X spacer back in the shell first, avoiding pinching any of
the two wires....then place the element on top of the spacer.
The creased washer wont fit after that...but you won't need it,
or a rubber gasket for the element either actually, as the pressure
from the X spacer should hold it all snug against the grill, once you
put the two screws back in. Try that...and you'll hear a HUGE diff
in tone and VOLUME immediatly. ;)) You still might not like it as
much as your 545...but I'm sure you'll hear the difference.

Theres one pic of the mic disassembled to see the parts inside.
Here's the link for the Calrad on Ebay for anyone who wants a peak:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7366401459&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Or Item # 7366401459

~Donnie~