[Harp-L] Re: Preventing Hearing Loss

This thread has gone around a few times.  Just wanted to chime in.  Maybe if it goes on long enough, a few people will lose less hearing and have less ringing in their ears.

My ears ring constantly (albeit quietly) and I'm starting to lose some accuity in crowded situations.  It really sucks.  I got musician's earplugs earlier this year, and I want to advocate their use.

For harp content:  I've found that wearing plugs distorts what you hear as tone from an amplifier.  It is therefore even more critical that you (one) practice(s) even more and can trust in your tone.  Little elements of nuance are difficult to hear, but still important.  I think practicing acoustically while holding a mic is one key.  Another, is recording yourself.

It's great to hear your own stuff at full volume, live, but it catches up to you.  Those nights in bed listening to the "weeeeeeeeee" that should be silence, can be avoided.

Call an audiologist today!!!