[Harp-L] half-valving

   <From: "Father Time" <athompson4@xxxxxxxxxxx> ;

I missed the explanation of how a diatonic is half valved.  Would someone please explain?  My imagination goes wild.  Thanks in advance.
Al Thompson  >

I "borrowed" the following text from someone's website & I just can't remember who's.

P.T.s Valve Setup

Advantages:

                A full chromatic scale in 2 octaves on diatonic in 2nd position

                Same basic technique as draw bends or upper blow bends

    Blow bends for expression with additional draw bends

Theory:

By closing off the opposite reed that you are trying to bend with a windsaver you are able to achieve a single reed bend.

Layout:

                Bottom or draw plate holes 2-4*-5-6 (blow bends)

                Top or blow plate holes 7 & 8 (draw bends)

                Valves are placed on the inside of the hole covering the reed slot

*Just for expression

Materials:

                Contact cement or pli-o-bond for the valves.

                Standard windsavers (cut to length) for Eb through F#

    Microfiber for all remaining harmonicas

Gapping:

                The gap must be bigger to allow for the single reed bends.

Hope this helps

Mox

http://jmredon.free.fr/monsitewebebcountryblues/entree.htm