[Harp-L] Re: suncoast blues fest 11/05/05

Smokey-joe, you are a tough critic.

I didn't see or hear the show you reviewed (maybe they had an off night), but I must say the (many) times I've seen the Nighthawks over the last 25+ years I have been greatly impressed. They were at their best with Jimmy Thackery on guitar (late 70's), but I have always thought Mark Wenner on harp and vocals was tops.

I also have to disagree with your other statement:

>>Most of the best harp players either don't tour OR travel away from their home base on >>very rare occasion. I surmise this is because they are making too good a living at >>their'day' jobs.

Just this summer I played the Riverfront Blues Festival in my town (backing David Bromberg). I don't tour or travel much, and I know I'm not anywhere near as good a harp player as James Cotton (who took the stage right after us) or Kim Wilson (who closed the 2nd night). In this case, the touring pros were the great players.

I have a harp case full of autographed harp boxes from great touring players I've seen within a 2 hour radius of my house (Paul DeLay, Magic Dick, James Cotton, Rick Estrin, Kim Wilson, Billy Branch, etc.). Heck, William Clarke and Mark Hummel and Jerry Portnoy came through town a few years back and played a little dive right in town here too.

Just my opinion..

Andy Vincent