[Harp-L] suncoast blues fest 11/05/05

So I went to the suncoast blues fest yesterday. Left home and drove the 1 1/2 hrs to Pine Island. The day ran from noon till 10pm. I got there at 1:30 so I missed the first act. Entry fee was 10 samoleons
second act: Deb & the Dynamics.
musicianship = decent
presentation = good
material = good
overall = this is a local group and was 'in a word' = surprising

third act:         Don't remember the name..don't care to.
                       musicianship = fair
                       presentation = repitious
                       material = decent
                       overall = from Orlando and in a word = boring

fourth act: James Peterson blues band
musicianship = loud, raucous, and uninteligible
presentation = Peterson went into the audience to interact with them. He never shut up.
People were crawling all over this guy, taking pictures, etc. Proving a
suspicion I have held for years: "Not all the crazy people are safely put
away".
material = WHAT material? Some of the tunes?? ran over 20 minutes of tedious
repetition. Lots of crude language.
overall = group is from Alabama and in a word = Horrid

fifth act: Saffire & the Uppity Blues Women
musicianship = top drawer. Best keyboardist I have heard in years. Obvious influences
were Meade Lux-Lewis & Dr. John
presentation = excellent. Very tight well rehersed group.
material = much of it was original stuff. It wasn't my cup of tea. The premise of their
show seems to center around how older (especially larger) women are
'where it's AT'. Most everything was done in G
overall = worth seeing once and in a word = tolerable
special note: although listed in Danny Wilson's 'Gig-List', there was a grand total of
20 SECONDS of harp. Hard to justify saying a group has a harp player
at that rate. :)

sixth act: The Nighthawks
musicianship = absolutely tops
presentation = too MUCH harp and all compressed with no variations
material = all sounded the same. (in all honesty, this could have been caused by the
harp). Most everything was done in the same key (A)
overall = in a word = tedious, so I left in the middle of the show, went and got a cappuchino and began the lonely journey home. A waste of a day and a waste of money. That's when it hit me like a falling 16 ton weight. Most of the best harp players either don't tour OR travel away from their home base on very rare occasion. I surmise this is because they are making too good a living at their 'day' jobs.

smokey-joe

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by EWOL using Declude Virus]