[Harp-L] embossing

In a message dated 11/4/2005 10:29:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I also  attempted "scooping" the reeds.  I put a dental pick lengthwise on
the  reed, and pulled the reed tip up with a feeler gauge.  Seemed to work ok,
but I wasn't too satisfied with my method, any tips on  "scooping?"

  I have never scooped, but from what i've seen and read here,  scooping is
done on the reed plate at the end opposite the rivet.  The purpose is to enable
the reeds to respond when the gaps have been  reduced to allow OB's.  Another
method is to file the corners of the free  end of the reeds, altho to me, it
seems that this would increase air  leakage.
ron