Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

<< Tim Moyer wrote>>

The socket I use is a 7/16", 3/8" drive.  It is 19mm in diameter, and
28mm long.  I try had to avoid doing the two sides independently, as
that seems to cause mis-shaping of the reed slot, getting the two
sides out of parallel, and out of parallel with the edges of the reed.

Has anyone experienced the reed tipping out of parallel to the reed plate after embossing?  I also use a socket on an extension and try very hard to push down so there is equal pressure on both sides of the reed slot, and after re-gapping if I look at the reed from the free end, I notice that side to side it is tipped out of parallel.  Don't know if this is causing a problem, but it can't be a good thing.  It may happen from getting too close to the rivet end with the embossing tool.  My  biggest problem  with ebossing is that the deformation is too great such that the reed sticks,somewhere along the reed slot no matter how careful I am and I haven't quite figured out how to unstick the reed where it has been deformed unequally along the reed slot.  I have heard folks say to snap the reed to unstick it, or deburr the slot to free the reed up, but this seems to be very tricky surgery for any but the really expert set up folks.

What I would pay for is a couple of 1 hour sessions working side by side with a bonifide expert on harp set up.  I've heard people talk about Rupert Oysler's video?  Has anyone used a video training product and gotten good at setting up their out of box harps?  Or should i just save my money up for customs and leave the stock harps alone?  Last night I flared the cover plates on a SP20 for the first time, successfully, but cut the crap out of my finger holding the harp as I made the two small 3/16" cuts in the cover plate with the hack saw at the end posts...

As always, thanks to the experts on the list for their unselfish assistance - Harp-L is such a great resource .