Re: [Harp-L] Very oddly tuned Seydel harp

Odd indeed. I like the concept but am a little
confused about some of the specific goals of this
model. If considered to be tuned to "G" then why all
the Bb? Realizing that you can never get everything
you might like in a single layout I would have
concentrated a little more on diatonic harmony.

Even if the intent was to allow playing minor tunes
with Gm as the tonic I would then expect an Eb to help
create a minor IV chord.

On a regular 10-hole I wish for the V chord when
playing 2nd position. This harp seems to have the
opposite problem. Lots of dominant V chords - that's
cool - but only one place to play a C major triad.

Is there any indication of what range or octave the
notes cover. If I were to build my own 10-hole "Rhythm
Ace" harp I would only cover a two octave range at
most. This would entail starting over with lower
pitches at Hole 5 or 6. Otherwise the chords on the
higher numbered holes aren't in the sweet range.
Currently this means splicing the lower half of two
reed plates because the range of a retune is too
great. How does the Seydel model handle this?

All in all still an interesting harp. You can play in
E natural minor (Em, Am and Bm chords) and there is
that interesting Gmaj7 chord at holes 13-17 blow.

How about some other uses ?

Paul

http://farechase.yahoo.com