Re: [Harp-L] Max Geldray on "The Goon Show"

I discovered Max Geldray completely by accident when I bought some old time radio mp3 cds. Among them was a set of Goon Shows. I was prepared for the lunacy of Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe, and Peter Sellers, but not for the guy who played the harmonica. Great stuff--nice tone and he could swing.

It's OT, but old time radio mp3 cds are for sale all over. Ebay is a good source. They're cheap and, aside from the entertainment value, are great history of pop culture primary source material. They tell you a lot about the people who listened to the shows. I think what you get from the Goon Show is that people in Britain had a taste for surreal comedy that, except for some W. C. Fields, hadn't caught on in the U.S. in the 50s. Not only that, they could accept a jazz harmonica player as a featured musician on a very popular radio show.

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell

MundHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:
When I was VERY young, I was inspired by a wonderful chromatic harmonica player, Max Geldray. I understand that he was born in Holland, but after living in England for some years, he settled in the U.S.A., sadly he passed away recently... Harp-L regular Bill Romel used to fix his harmonicas!
To this day I haven't heard a better jazz harp player....
I attach a link to BBC radio, the Goon Show, from 1955.... If you are into great harmonica players, listen to this... There is only one tune from Max Geldray... But it is WONDERFUL.
ENJOY!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/monday/
Click on "The Goon Show"

Best wishes