[Harp-L] Re: 1 OB

I appreciate what [my mini idol ;)] George has said here...

At 12:53 AM 5/31/2005 -0400, George Brooks wrote:
> >Anyone have hints about sustaining 1 hole OB?
>
>I agree with Chris that it's important to create a large resonant
>cavity.  You can sometimes squeak out the one OB, but you've got to get
>it in a more full-throated way if you want to sustain it.  You need to
>hit and then hold a  precise *low* resonant point.

My reason is that there is often stated on harp lists a generalization that
is, IMO, not totally accurate.  Many of you have heard the term "resonant
bends" thrown about from time to time, which usually implies, "In order to
bend notes [or overbend them] you must use resonance," that, "Your resonance
causes the bend to happen."  There is some basis for this reasoning because,
as George points out, sustaining bent notes is aided by achieving resonance.

However, it is wrong to literally say, "Resonance causes the bend to occur."
It should be remembered...   Resonance is an EFFECT not an ACTION!

Note-bending is the result of a complicated interaction between the factors
of applied airflow, ie, the amount [volume] of air, velocity [speed] of air,
and the air pressure [NOT the amount of FORCE applied, but the "atmospheric"
sort of pressure] as determined by the first two elements.

You CAN bend notes without ANY sort of conscious "resonance" by varying the
volume, velocity and pressure parameters of the airflow which are directed at
a specific, geometrically organized chamber, containing a reed, or "reeds",
windsavers, leaks, etc.  But, the SUPPORT given to the sound in the form of
RESONANCE can greatly facilitate the actual bend itself by creating a more
"conducive environment" for the production of that particular, desired note,
by focusing and enhancing its fundamental tone!

This is what I think George is addressing... getting the note is one thing,
but allowing it to perpetuate itself resonantly by manipulating your own
vocal tract is key to "sustaining" it over a chosen length of time.

As for me... I got a "hole 1 overblow" once... sometime... way back when...

I seem to recall.

=[BOBBIE]=
||  h a r p  s p o k e n  h e r e  || SPAH Members Support Harp-L! ||