[Harp-L] Gear

Gear is one of those classic subjects.  It's great fun to get all riled up talking about.  It's great fun to A/B different gear.  It's fun to have a quest for that tone in your head.  But it's 100% subjective.  We can discuss it for years.   In fact, I think we already have.  I'm in a pensive mood.  If this thread tires you, forgive me for adding my thoughts.

To me, the number one factor in developing "your sound"  is TIME.   Time listening, time practicing, stage time,  time time time.  There's no substitute for experience.  I also think there's only so much you can gain from reading about it.  (reading is a good start, tho).

I used to play through an old Gibson 1x12 "falcon".  I was new to amplifiers.  I thought it sounded terrible.  It was me, though, not the amp. I'd kill with that amp now.

  I got a Blues Jr second.  and thought it was great.  Now I hate its "artificial" sound qualities.

I didn't fall absolutely in love the Sonny Jr I tried, or the 4x10 I heard, or the Victoria Bassman I heard.  I love my Concert, but right now, I want it a little more responsive.   Tomorrow, who knows.

(Even though I don't personally want a Sonny 4x10, I'm thinking about going down to see Sonny Jr. one of these days.  The guy is an artist and a craftsman.  His product or not, I bet he can help me find the sound in my head from the amp I own.  It may not be his ideal sound, but he knows we're not all looking for exactly the same thing. )

I like Crystal elements because, to me, every green bullet sounds "like a green bullet".  But I want to get a non-crystal element anyway, because sometimes I LOVE that sound.

Every guitar player I've ever known has bought and sold guitars and amps like hot stocks.  They're NEVER satisfied.  I don't expect to be satisfied either.

Maybe you more experienced guys/girls know what I'm saying.  You younger guys, just keep at it.  It's a process.  Enjoy the ride.  And enjoy the debate!!

Dan Gage

Yahoo! Mail