Re: [Harp-L] Historical perspective of harp-l

Actually Michael, we have fewer posts overall but currently we have the highest membership number we've ever had in the history of harp-l. I don't have an easy way to compare bandwidths from the previous era but I will say that generally posts are much more on topic and the signal to noise ratio is a lot better. I'd consider that pushing 2,000 posts era to be anomalous in that the internet isn't all new and special like it was then. We have competition, lots of competition, harpon, harptalk, slidemeister, the German language group whose name I can't remeber, several news groups alt.harmonica, a tremelo group on gmane.org and no doubt a couple of others that I"m not aware of. Oops forgot, the harmonicist. During the Hugh era we were it. There were no alternatives. What's extraordinary about the membership numbers is that you can now easily read our content without joining. Our web hits are pretty up there. I haven't checked the stats recenty but there has been a definite upward trend since our migration. Anyone know what happened to Jonas or Hugh? Chris Pierce I can find, Danny we hear from weekly, Michael P just chimed in. Someone I really miss from the wku era is Bruce Steinberg. What's extraordinary about that list of 187 subscribers from 1994 is that they all found the list without the benefit of a search engine or a browser. Lynx was just showing up and Mosaic was right around the corner, altavista was available but still young. I want to say I was hipped to the list by HIP but I also read about it in AHN. Aw, I'm getting all nostalgic, Ben can we crash the server for old times sake? fjm