[Harp-L] East-West & non-Western harmonica

The Butterfield blues band recorded their extended jam East-West in 1966, and I wonder if there´s any earlier recorded instances of someone from the Western hemisphere trying to play the diatonic harmonica in a "non-Western" context, i.e. over not traditionally Western scales?
  Arguably Butterfield represents the "West" part on his solo; if I recall correctly he´s aiming at something bluesy in 3 pos on a C harp -- the whole piece is mostly in D (phrygian major?), I think -- but it´s not one of his greater moments. (Bb harp 5th pos may have worked better.)
  Any info here appreciated.
Cheers
Martin