[Harp-L] open message to harp-lers: Adios guam, konnichiwa japan

adios guam, konnichiwa japan

hey, list,

after 9 years of countless typhoons, several large earthquakes, a number of volcanic fog incidents, and theft of my airbags, i have left Guam and relocated back to Tokyo.  it was a nice little run, but i must resign my post as under-sherriff of the harmonic of the pacific.

over the past 9 years, harp-l helped maintain my sanity and certainly contributed to my harmonica insanity.  oh, did I learn a helluva lot even though i was sitting alone in the middle of the ocean with nothing more than a Budweiser and some tabasco-spiked spam as I watched sun set after sunset.  Through harp-l, aside from the incredible education and terrific friendships, I also got many goodies - super fine harps:  T-Bones and honeybees from Tim Moyer, temptation-tuned harps from Pat Missin, vermont maple combs from Mark Lavoie, Winslow's discreet Comb, and Dr. Antaki's covers;  mics from Tom Ellis (via Sonny Jr.), Mike Easton, and Tim M.;  and a beauty amp from Dave (all souped up by Don DeStefano.  Thanks to all of you guys!

then there were all the CD's that came in that were played on public radio out there - KPRG, 89.3 fm - including, but not limited to John Whiteboy Walden (the first back in 1996!), Larry Boy Pratt, Jr. Johnny, Donnie, Mortone Morton, Ironman Mike Curtis, Don DeStefano, Brassha'per Ray Beltran, Alan Adamson, Bill Barrett, Mike Polesky, Danny Wilson, many selections from the Harp-L CDs (and loved helping Van Fischer out with the artwork for the 2001: harp oddessy project), and even Douglas Tate (the bluesiest classical player I know).

as i reminisce about my past 9 years being a harp-l member, i can't but fondly recall the fervor associated with getting harp-l to purchase Bogart's bar in tumonbay where my band was playing.  i would have to go back to the archives to see how many pledged how much, but it was remarkable.

i have been back in japan now for 4 weeks and the harp scene is just as strong (this is my 4th stint here).  I have already hooked up with friends old and new.  saw harp-l-er Dave Steenken put on a fine show in the ginza few weeks ago, for example.  so, it is good to be back.

looking forward to the next 9 years of harp-l!

all the best from the land of the rising humidity,

-sg
 kanagawa, japan