[Harp-L] Bushman Delta Frost harmonicas in bluegrass

I should announce up-front that I am a long-time Hohner player. I learned on
a Marine Band and have played Bluesharps, Special 20's, etc., for most of my
life. I have played Lee Oskar when the right key is available, and have had
limited success with Suzuki. At John Hall's insistence, I gave the Bushman
Delta Frost a try.

I started with a G. Its tone was darker than my Bluesharp and the phosphor
bronze reeds had a longer sustain -- interesting qualities. However, the
reeds on the G were slower to respond than my Hohners and the sustain was
sufficient enough to allow one note to blend over the next on really fast
fiddle tunes. As a consequence, my faster tunes would come out less crisp
and clear and would suffer minute moments when the reed would hesitate,
which would throw my timing off a little. It was a beautiful tone that would
work for slower tunes and was absolutely gorgeous when played on blues
riffs, but, as I told John, I was not certain the instrument was going to be
the best for bluegrass (at least not at really fast tempos in the key of G,
Em, Am, or D).

John felt I hadn't given the Delta Frost a fair shake since I had only
tested it on a lower pitched harmonica. He suggested I try a D, in
comparison. I had chosen the G to see how well a lower harmonica worked, on
purpose, figuring that I would know how bad it could be, since the lower
harmonicas usually have a poorer response and control. The test told me what
I needed to know and I intended somewhere along the line to give a higher
pitched Delta Frost the same test. So I tested a D.

The Delta Frost in the key of D tested quite successfully. For me, out of
the box without warming it up, it performed beautifully. The darker tone
works just as well in the higher key and even appears to soften the pierce
of the higher toned harmonica to the ears of the listener. The sustain is
not as long as it is on the G, but that works perfectly for fiddle tunes –
the tone lasts long enough, then fades as the next note is played. I have
been performing with the D Delta Frost since I got it a few month ago with
no complaints and a few compliments (as astonishing as that may be from
bluegrass musicians with regard to harmonicas).

At this point, I have made a plan. I have been enjoying blues riffs more
than I ever have before because they sound so neat on the G Delta Frost. So
I think I will try an A, too. However, I expect to still play my Hohners in
the key of G and A in bluegrass. (I still have to be able to keep up with
the tempos of the banjos and fiddles.) But, I am now wondering when the
response on the reeds quickens and the sustain shortens. Is it in Bb? B? I
also intend to start adding some higher keyed Delta Frosts to my collection,
especially for the piercing keys of E and F, and perhaps C.

For anyone interested in playing bluegrass harmonica, you will need a D (for
the keys of D, A, Em, and Bm) because fiddlers love to play things that fit
well on a D harmonica. The Bushman Delta Frost is a good choice for this.

Cara Cooke

www.cyberharp.isonfire.com <http://www.cyberharp.isonfire.com/>