[Harp-L] How to improvize, the process...

True or false?

Sometimes I am not very inspired, I think I should give names to tricks and licks so I can conciously memorize things. Usually while jamming by myself, I discover things (riffs etc.) on the fly that I've already discovered and sort of forgot, its comes back intuitively when I hear bits of it. But really I should not forget, it should all be memorized as part of a repertoire and called up when I need it.

When improvising, should I hear the line I want to play in my head before I play it? or even the next note? or do we play a note and as we listen to it, just decide long (wailing note) or short(passing note), then  up or down?

Pierre.