Re: Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Extended solos

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Reid"
> <mreid@xxxx> wrote:
 we would do 3, 45
> minute sets and
> probably do 3 to 4 songs in each set.
 Oh and he did
> not want me to do
> any fills while he played his solo's I told him to
> let me know when he
> was finished.

How boring for the crowd and the rest of the band.  I
am a huge jam fan, but you gotta jam as a band.  Not
a fan of ego trips.  The best jam bands keep it fun
and cohesive during their songs.

>  ned in a previous email it is important to do these
> things
> spontaneously and for the right reasons and I think
> that a heart felt
> solo can be equally moving weather it is a 15 second
> or 20 minute
> solo.

Very true.  There is a time and a place for just about
anything.  The key, for me, is to be on the same page
as a band.

I think it's important to remember that music
> is not a
> competitive sport it's not about who is the best or
> who knows the most
> stuff it's art and each artist is different and
> special in his or her
> own way.  You can sit on a store porch and play for
> the rest of your
> life if you've got it in you to do so.  And you'd
> probably die happy
> too.

Very true for most of us.  I think for some, it is a
competition.  I guess it depends on what you're trying
to do with your music.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
NiteRail