Re: [Harp-L] Valved players unite!

Pierre wrote:

>I think that with a valved harp you lose some of the deep bends

Not quite true.

First, Paul is talking about half-valving, not full valving.

Second, full valving allows deeper bends than non-valving.

To explain:

Half valving means valving only one of the two reeds in any given hole,
usually the higher-pitched reed.

For instance, in Hole 4 of a C-harp the blow reed is C and the draw
reed is D. D will bend down to C# and C will not bend. Any breath,
whether blow or draw, will move air through both the blow and the draw
reed slots.

If we place a valve opposite the D draw reed, on the inside of the
hole, it will be lifted out of the way of the D draw reed when you
inhale. Draw bends will not be affected, as these required the action
of the blow reed and the blow reed is not impeded. However, when you
blow the valve will be plastered over the draw slot, shutting off any
blow access to the draw reed, hence no overblows. However, the blow
reed can now be bent down in pitch as an isolated reed. How far will it
bend? Depends on player skill and reed setup, but four or five
semitones is not out of the question.

Four or five semitones? Is that not a "deep bend"?

Now, let's say we valve both reeds. Now each reed will sound in total
isolation from the other. Blow air goes only to the blow reed and draw
air goes only to the draw reed. Now that draw D reed will bend not only
to C# (as limited by the opening pitch of the blow reed); it will bend
to C, B, B, A, Ab, whatever, depending again on player skill and reed
adjustment.

However, the SOUND of an isolated closing reed bend is very different
from a dual-reed bend, and this is what most players have a problem
with as they tend to prefer the complex timbre of two reeds
collaborating on a bend. Also, the satabilizing influence of the second
reed makes isolated opening bends harder to control for most players.

Winslow

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html