From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Bill Hines
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:05 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: RE: Subject: [Harp-L] Sniping on Ebay

I'm tired of this thread too, but I had one question (harp related!).

If I want something, say a particular mic, do any of these programs have
sentry features that will watch for items that come up as new listings that
might contain certain keywords, such as 'fireball' for example? I couldn't
find a way to do that in ebay itself and it would be nice to know when a
particular amp or mic or whatever you are looking for has been listed.

One clarification - to make this clear - I think Tim is saying that proxy
bids (normal ebay function) are processed immediately *after* the auction
ends, for example, the millisecond the auction ends ebay looks at the proxy
bids (where you have designated the max you are willing to pay), processes
them in those seconds after the auction ends, and the high bidder wins. This
is how the proxy bid always beats snipe programs, right (which can only work
*until* the auction ends). If this is the case, nobody can gripe about the
snipe programs, unless they aren't using proxy bidding, which would be
foolish if you really want something. This is what I've been doing for a
*long* time, before any of this became popular. I'd put in my *proxy* bid
with a few seconds left, so that ebay would keep bidding for me up to my
desired max price. And I always won, nobody else I talked to then knew about
this (haven't tried lately though, as the cat seems to be out of the bag!).

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA