Re: Re: [Harp-L] E-Bay and sniper programs

Joe Leone <leone@xxxx> wrote:
1. figure out what the item is worth? (this is the hard part)

I don't really find this that hard, in an auction.  If you're buying
used merchandise, find out what it would cost to buy it new.  Don't
bid more than that.  Adjust down for age, condition, etc.  Ebay has
a search feature for completed auctions where you can see what
similar items have sold for in the past.  In the end I always ask
myself, what's the most I would pay that, if I were beat I wouldn't
be disappointed.  For example, look at the time and think, "If
someone paid $2 more and beat me for this, would I be upset?"  I
always add an odd amount to that, to beat the people that might bid
an even dollar amount.  So if I'm willing to pay $50 for something,
I'll bid $52.51 or something like that, just so I don't get beat by
the guy who bids $50 first.

You can also do your own bid sniping.  Just wait until the last few
seconds before the auction ends and bid your own maximum.  People
always seem to forget that ebay does proxy bidding, so you're not
going to spend more than the bid increment above the next closest
bid.  You can bid $200 and still get something for $25.  Bidding low
and bidding early (as most ebay people do) just tips your hand and
raises the price early.  If everyone waited until the last second
and bid their maximum the item would go to the highest bidder at the
lowest price.

-working man tim