[Harp-L] New Blood at SPAH

Iceman wrote:

>What interests me, however, is where this feeling that SPAH needs to attract new blood and
>publicity to the conventions comes from. Is there an undercurrent that something needs to be done
>to inject excitement or interest to the convention? Have those that attended the convention
>perceived something in the air that, up till now and beyond the usual glowing reports of how
>wonderful the convention is - always the best one yet -

I don't remember who originally broached the idea of a competition at SPAH or suggested it might
attract new blood and more publicity.    My feeling is that as much fun as it is to attend SPAH
and see old friends, I like seeing new faces too.   I know some great harp players who have never
been to a SPAH.  (Heck I know a few who have never even HEARD of SPAH until I told them about it.)
One of them has told me he'd consider entering a competition.  He's not on harp-l and he's never
been to a SPAH.

As for the comment about clamming up and not sharing nothing with nobody if there was a
competition . . . I really doubt if trying to cop somebody else's style, technique, or secret
gimmick the night before a competition would do anything except work to the copper's
DIS-advantage.
Anybody that desperate probably wouldn't have a chance anyway.

Iceman you mentioned a "New Philosophy" at SPAH.   Can you elaborate please?