Re: [Harp-L] Off the cuff

"On 5/4/05, martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> *... I would still say the rule holds generally: Keep your harps at home.
> ...(...don´t get drunk and lose your chops, pub´s are a risky environment)
> and those who are constructively contributing to the instruments reputation
> -- but they are a small minority."*

 You have brought up a very good point. If one is, in fact, going to
demonstrate the harmonica, they should be relatively sober and able to
accomplish something above the expectation of the people who will be
listening, or the harmonica will remain in the 'toy' dungeon of the
listener's mind. However, taking a harmonica with you everywhere you go does
not mean you have to demonstrate it everywhere you go. It is like taking
your favorite pocket knife to school (before metal detectors). If you keep
the knife in your pocket and don't show it off, you will be able to keep it
with you all the time and it will be there when you need it, eventhough it
may be against school rules. But, if you flash the pocket knife around and
the teacher sees it, she/he will take it up and you will not get it back,
and you will be in big trouble with the school.
 I usually recommend to everyone who wants to learn to play harmonica to
take one with them wherever they go, especially if it is a 10-hole diatonic
(because they are so easy to carry). The reason I do this is not so much to
encourage the harmonica player to practice in public, but to help him find
the time to practice when he thinks he has no time to practice (while he is
sitting at really long traffic lights, riding a ferry in his car, waiting
for his wife to leave the department store, waiting to pick his kid up from
school, etc.). Frequently, these times are short, relatively private moments
which we tend to waste. At these times, harmonica practice won't disturb
anyone. However, for these same people, leaving the harmonica at home has
already led them to frustration and to not take the time to explore the
instrument, so some change in their behavior is necessary for them to begin
to advance. If the situation occurs where someone wants them to demonstrate,
they can still beg off, explaining that they need more time to become
better, or they can play a tune they are able to play very well, even if
they are nervous (which at such times they usually are). Most of the people
I have met who need this advice are not inclined to demonstrate the
harmonica on demand anyway.
 Cara Cooke
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com <http://www.cyberharp.isonfire.com>