Re: [Harp-L] Music Competitions are not Evil

On May 4, 2005, at 6:16 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:
What interests me, however, is where this feeling that SPAH needs to attract new blood and publicity to the conventions comes from.

I think the only reason SPAH was mentioned is that it is THE only national organization in the U.S. If there was an organization called USHO (U.S. Harmonica organization), IT may have been the 'target'. In actuality, it would make more sense to make it a GLOBAL deal. Do we have that? What about Trossingen? How about the orient?

Phil Lloyd's comments seemed to have started this thread. Perhaps someone will shed a little light on why this aspect is being discussed.

I like Phil's idea. It wouldn't affect me, but the idea is (intrinsically) sound. I think the older group (if we can call it that) can still abstain and keep it's brotherly 'guild'. Buzz makes a lot of sense in that regard. But it could be something to build on into the future.

Also, I have gone on record and have stated hundreds of times that I am TOTALLY against programs that beat the bushes for new harmonica deciples. My (personal) feelings are that an individual has to WANT to play harp ON THEIR OWN and if they don't want to put in the time, cajoling and pampering them is a loosing proposition.

Curious minds wish to know..

me too. I would like some skinny on THIS one.........smo-joe