Re: [Harp-L] Music is not a competition?

At 09:33 AM 04/05/2005, HASHBB@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 03-May-05 08:28:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
dmf273@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> "Music is not a competition?"

I believe it is meant in the sense that music is not a sport's competition.
Music is art, not who can play faster, deeper, etc.
HB
It's interesting, someone posted a list of classical music competitions in response to this thread the other day.I remember someone in an article bemoaning the growth of classical music competitions because students have now begun to train to win the competitions not to play music. The competitions have begun to be about faster and more technical, not about musicality, and now there are whole generations of young musicians whose mind set is that of an athlete, rather than an artist.

To me a musical contest makes about as much sense as a praying contest.

maurice richard libby
aka Whiteboy Slim
"twenty-first century blues"
whiteboy_slim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx