Re: [Harp-L] Low Z to Hi - Z - DI Box?

Hi,

in an effort to squeeze as much juice out of the orange as possible i
was trying to chase up an inline Low Z to Hi Z transformer - (as I have
read most people use for vocal mics going to amps - had been using a
lead that had XLR at one edn and 1/4 jack but am sure that's just an
adaptor, not a line transformer)

for an SM 57 going through an effects box to amp.....

have been told I should have the transformer between the effects and
mic...

somebody has given me use of a LEEM NDR40 Direct Box.

Has three 1/4 sockets in one side:

IN - Inst High Z

OUT - Inst High Z

IN - GND LIFT

Has 1 XLR socket on other side:

LOW Z Output.

I have looked at some instructions and it doesn't say anything about
being able to go "back" IN thru the LOW Z Output - as I presume thats
the only place to plug the Mic and then OUT thru either one of the HIGH
Z Input/Output mentioned above...

The instructions say basically to plug an instrument/effects thru the IN
- Inst High Z and then can go to an amp thru the OUT - Inst High Z (for
my own monitor) and OUT to pa mixer thru the LOW Z Output.

It will be useful for that alone (no need to mic my crappy amp when
everybody around powers up) but it is not going to allow me go backwards
is it?  -- for mic to go thru it to effects box...

I can't try it myself as I have to grab a female to female XLR lead
first - and worried i may damage the amp anyway...

also - advice on a pc myth(?) - if trying to record onto pc you should
only go thru the line in unless using a pc mic - going thru the pc mic
line will send a power signal back to your source (guitar, minidisc,
walkman etc) -  if yr line in isn't sucking up enough signal you should
send yr source thru a stereo amp or something first(?) as thru the mic
line may damage yr source equpment..... is this true?

and thanks for those guys got back to me on my modes chart - great
advice all

crowley