From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jp Pagán
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:04 PM
To: harp-l harp-l
Subject: [Harp-L] sax squawk and some harp content.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joe and Cass
Leone <leone@xxxx> wrote:

>   I just think that too much squawk is out. A little
is OK, but some
> guys over-do it.

i always hated the "Saturday Night Live" sax sound,
that guys like Jr. Walker often do. then again, i love
some of Walker's stuff, even a few things that do
sound SNL-ish.
as for squawk, i have a new-found appreciation for it
after listening to some of the latest jazz/funk stuff
by guys like Stanton Moore and Galactic. there's a sax
player named Skerik who turns "squawk" into a term of
art, so to speak. i'd love to be able to do what he
does on a short-harp. Galactic's horn-dog, Ben
Elliman, also knows how to squawk and do it right, and
he plays a pretty good harp too... (check out the
album "Ruckus")

  --Jp