Re: [Harp-L] begginner question about blues jams

----- Original Message ----- From: <csbiro@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Or just tell me what to practice, what to do, to become ready for jam.

Practice along with jam tracks and other players until you feel comfortable moving around with different styles/tempos of music. . A good definition of an intermediate player is someone who can play more than just a standard slow 12 bar blues. When you get to the point where you can sound reasonable with a fairly wide variety of styles and tempos, which in my opinion takes a good 2-3 years of organized practice, you're probably ready to go feel out the jam scene.
You can get out there earlier, but chances are it won't be a positive experience for you. Present your ideas and concerns in a humble manner (just like you did in your email) to the jam leader, make friends with the regular harp players, and trust me, these guys will want to help you out.

I highly recommend this playalong CD. http://ultimatebluestool.com/ When you can play these tunes back and forth without walking on the vocals, guitar, etc.. you'll be ready to go.

Mark