RE: [Harp-L] Instruction book, please help to choose

Depends, both are good, just depends on your style of learning I guess.
Barrett's is very classroom/scholarly/monotone. I listened to some samples
on his web site and didn't think I'd like that. It's very structured though,
from point A to point B, which is good. Gindick's is more fun, get straight
to it, encouraging, etc. It worked better for me. I also listened to Jerry
Portnoy's 3-cd and book set also called Masterclass. I think it's also very
good, but he only takes you so far. Good for a beginner though. Gindick's
will take you pretty far, into positions, some music theory there as far as
the chord changes and so forth too.

I've actually like having more than one source. I was going through Gindick
page-by-page, then started to branch out for some fun into other stuff I was
finding on the web, such as tabs for some classics. Gindick has a lot of fun
stuff on his web site like that, and mini-lessons you can download for
tone/bending, chugging, etc. When you move out of advaned, get his Jam Room
cd to practice. His rock 'n the folk cd/booklet is also very good and in
some ways goes into more detail than rock 'n blues, but I would start with
the latter first due to it having more picture-type content in the book to
explain things. Enjoy the story of the Caveboys!

If you're not sure and can afford it, buy more than one for different
perspectives. You can always unload them on ebay if you keep them in good
shape.

Bill Hines