[Harp-L] sitting in

I had been sitting here lamenting the loss of opportunity to see Mark Hummel at the Beached Whale in Ft. Myers Beach a few weeks ago. Ostensibly, I was supposed to meet harp-l member 'cap'n crazy harp' (aka Chip Swider) for an evening of frivolity. Since I had been in communication via e-mail, but had never met him, I didn't know what to expect. I had heard that he was a protoge of the famous "Iceman". So, that in itself left me a little intimidated. I had learned many yrs ago that Larry (and anyone remotely associated with him) were 'dangerous'.

Well, the deal fell through. Something about Hummel's tour bus breaking down. We did, however, finally meet Sunday. He sent me a message about a benefit show for a boy with lukemia and the band was to be "Blues Pig". I was given to understand that the harp player was very good. Well, he was way PAST good. Mark DeFraties (spelling?) was the dude and he was excellent. It was immediately obvious to me that HERE was a guy to be reconned with and had studied all the 'masters'. His use of the high range(s) totally superb.

Apparently mr. DeFraties was 40 and had had lesson(s?) from Pete Ruth (another dangerous dude) about 20 yrs. ago up in Detroit. During a break, DeFraties asked my new friend Chip Swider to sit in. A..Haaaaa, the famous 'sitting in schtick'. Chip pointed over at me and said "Maybe HE might, but I don't think I'm ready". I slithered out of it like a slimey worm by assuring that I had NO harps with me. Aaaaanyway, Chip sat in. It was a real treat. Here were two guys complimenting each other. DeFraties blasted away while Chipper added in background and flourishes.

It turns out that mr Chip Swider did everything right. He didn't try to be pushy or shovey. Just added to the ambience. If I were to cast one regret, it would be that Chip didn't do ENOUGH, but it appears he is shy and that's how he deemed to handle it at the time. I'm SURE the band wasn't sorry they had him sit in and considering that it was 'sound unheard' (sorta like sight-unseen), the whole deal paid off.

btw; Chip was exactly what I expected: American looking. He even had his lovely wife with him. I know he's too shy to say anything about this, so I took it upon myself......so THERE.

p.s. I had harps in the trunk of my car, BUT I was wearing new shoes and didn't want these guys to blow the soles off of em.

smokey-joe's friendly ghost