From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of gorky
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:21 AM
To: Harp_L
Subject: [Harp-L] Butter on Your Own Sound

Hi all;
Bill,I think you are right.
However, it can be useful to try and play note for note like other
harmonica players but just in certain way:
It may help you to understand a kind of feeling, an approach of rythm.
I understood i was wrong
when i tried to play  a "note for note solo" just because i had it in
my mind  and wanted  to play that whatever the rythm or the song was. But
when i began to forget that, to play without thinking about playing
"note for note solo" it happened that it came naturaly to me( sometimes
many mounth after) but this time, it sounded good.
It means influences and copying are good when you let them grow slowly
in you. But don't make a rule.Let hey come to you.
I' ve heard many players at festivals: They were very good players but
looking back, i can't remember one with a special
identity: All of them were looking for absolute Little Walter phrasing
and sound.Here is the question: Who could play exactly like Little
Walter except Little Walter himself? And i' m note sure Walter thought
about copying someone' s phrasing or sounds when he recorded"Juke".I
Think he just played it.
John Lee Hooker learned guitar with someone ( I don' t remember his
name but he was never recorded). and maybe he would have liked to play
exactly like him(I said MAYBE cause i was not there).But maybe the
imperfections and defaults in copying have made John' s style.AND IT'S
GREAT!!!!
I always have that in my mind now when i' m playing.
Gorky.