To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 11:53 AM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Elements of good teaching

Pierre wrote:
>From the student side, I would say that a teacher must  praise you
and not be
critical at all; the goal being to make a student comfortable when
playing.
Its hard enough playing badly in front of someone as you are learning,
if
you are not at ease then you can forget it.

While I agree with your point in the early stages, Pierre, I know from personal experience that unbridled praise coupled with no meaningful criticism makes for a dead-end when you are trying to improve your harp skills. There is such a thing as constructive criticism and it can be applied with care and dignity. After a year or so of not getting any meaningful criticism from a former teacher, I felt he'd left me "adrift" in my efforts to improve. Without some guided criticism, it's very difficult to cast a direction for improvement. I felt disappointed and let down when this teacher wouldn't tell me if I was on the right track or not, I think because he wanted to avoid hurting my feelings. I'd much rather have the straight scoop in a way that would help me deal with my shortcomings than be playing a guessing game all the time. I'm in this to learn and get to be a better harmonica player, not to have my ego stroked along the way. If a harp student can't take a bit of constructive criticism, I submit that maybe s/he should take up another instrument. Or maybe another form of expression altogether. ;-)

I think a good teacher strikes a medium between praise and critique,
delivered in a supportive manner.

That's the way I see it,

Michelle