Re: [Harp-L] Fender Hotrod

On 19 Mar 2005, M. Erickson wrote:

 : I need a new amp but can't come up with the bucks for a bassman re-issue.
 : Anybody use a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Hot Rod Deville for Harp?

I used one on a gig once (playing guitar through it and no harp),
and didn't like the sound--too harsh and edgy.  I returned it and
found a Blues Deville instead, which I'm happier with as both a
guitar and harp amp (plus it looks cooler).

The guy who does my amp work confirmed my impression: he told
me the circuitry in the Hot Rods is different from the Blues
Deville's, particularly in the "drive" channel, I think he said.  (Maybe
the amp guys here can weigh in with technical details.)  Also, I
never tried swapping preamp tubes in the Hot Rod, so I dunno
whether that might mellow it out some.

Anyway, I have to say the Blues Deville's a lot of amplifier--except
for outdoor gigs, I seldom use it.  The Blues Junior and the Pro
Reverb usually work out better for the rooms I play.

-----
Dave Weeks
Pleasant Hill, Calif.