To: <rcush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 11:29 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: I'm Gonna Listen To 'Em, More

Again I say, who did little walter steal from? If you really want to sound like LW or anyone else, you'll never do it by copying that person. You have to go to the source. That's sax and guitars. Be careful because you may end up NOT sounding like your true self if you copy harmonica player licks.

What do I know....  I don't own any litte walter or big walter et al
stuff....:-)

Just my two cents on how to become an original player.

---- Original Message ---- From: rcush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: I'm Gonna Listen To 'Em, More Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:02:53 -0600

Talk to Carlos and I think you'll find that he learned his book of
Little/Big Walter, etc... before innovating.  That's my point.  Jason
Ricci sounds like no one else, but he'll tell you that he spent 8
hours a day learning Little Walter licks note for note.  THEN, he
took it somewhere.  To play the blues, I think the masters have to be
mastered first.  THEN, steal the sax and guitar players notes and
take it where it you want.  Be careful, though, because at some point
you ain't gonna convince anyone that it's blues your playing.

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michalekstrone