[Harp-L] Re: fender bassman ltd again

On 3/17/05 6:50 AM, Mike wrote:

> "This whole thing ever since the LTD came out...I don't understand. 12AY7 in
> V1...that's all you need. And that's just going back to the original tube
> configuration. If you gotta tinker with the thing any more than that, the amp
> ain't your problem!"
>
> I've tried a whole slew of preamp tubes with this amp,
> and my favorite so far is the two 12axy7s and a 12ay7.
> However, this varies depending on the mic I use.  If
> I can't turn the amp up to at least 5 before feedback,
> I try something else.  I gotta have some break up from
> the power section.

When I played through a Bassman, early 90's reissue, Hoffman style
point-to-point board, I ran it around 3 or 4 and got everything I needed out
of it. I ran it as high as 7 one night when we were playing stupid loud,
just for fun. But no one could here after that. It made it to where I can't
have babies anymore.

Seriously, if you have good technique, you can "move" the amp into that
breakup even at low volume levels like I was accustomed to.

> One of the biggest points one can make about this
> whole quest for tone thing, is that the guys playing
> back in the day had much less to compete with on
> stage.  Personally, stage volume before feedback is
> one of my top concerns when looking at an amp.  If I
> can't hear it then I might as well not play it.

Mike, you're not understanding. A 40-watt Bassman, when utilized correctly,
is PLENTY of amp. Heck, I can push my 18-watt Masco to be fully usable at
large venues, and get volume levels from it just this side of a Bassman.
It's proper technique, man. No amount of $ is gonna get it. And buying
feedback fighters and swapping preamp tubes don't teach you nuthin', either.

> Many of the pros and suchs can get away with whatever
> amp because the have pa systems that can get them the
> volume they need at the tone they like (this is also
> assuming they have "good chops" and "acoustic tone").

I'll never forget the night I caught Kim Wilson at Cozy's in L.A. Kirk
Fletcher playing guitar through a Super Reverb, Billy Flynn through a real
Bassman, and KW through a Pro propped up on a chair just behind him, pointed
right at his head. Heavy feedback, you'd think. Not so. Just HUGE tone, LOUD
when it counted.

Another night he played a real Bassman using that same placement...on a
chair pointed at his head. Volume set at 3.

Caught Rick Estrin playing his Super Reverb many times, volume at 3.

> I don't have the luxury anymore, so if I can't here my
> amp on its own I am screwed and will sound like poop
> because I won't know what I am playing.  If I have to
> get louder then what my Bassman can give me, then the
> gig is to loud and not worth losing my hearing over.

Volume on 5, in my experience, is too loud for a Bassman.

Ray.
--
www.resgraphics.com/music