Re: [Harp-L] Building solos

--- Michael Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<<snip>>
> I feel like I am at a sticking point, though.  I
> try to spend a lot of time imporvising, but I
> feel I play repetitively.  I understand people
> work toward their own sound, but I'd like to be
> able to play extended solos and not have all the
> songs sound alike.
<snip>>

Hi Mike,

I'm writing this without reading other's previous
me.

There's two things I always tell people who are
trying to find their own sound in building their
solos, but don't want to get into repetitive
playing. These are two things I live by.

1) Try to find 'The Hook' for every song and base
your solo on that. There is something unique about
every song that gives it its identity. You may find
it in a bass line or a catch phrase or a
destinctive melody.
Find it and use it as a basis for your solo block.
By working from the hook, you will find unique
things to say with your harp that will be unique to
that particular song. If there's no obvious hook
I'll simply play a simple musical statement that
fits and use that.
I like to start a solo block by stating the hook
(or a variation of the hook) and then to dance
around that for my 24 bars, sometimes returning to
the hook at the end. This will give each solo its
own unique flavor.

2) Try to construct your solo so it "goes
somewhere". In other words don't just randomly play
scales or licks that fit, but try to build tension
and excitement. One technique for this is to start
your solo on the bottom octaves and over the course
of your solo, work your way to the upper registers.
By the turnaround of the 2nd 12 bars you can have
the crowd on its feet and the guitar player solidly
behind you. Not necessarily super fast or super
fancy playing... but playing that has direction and
purpose. Play smart, not just fast. (I depend on
this alot because I'm NOT a fast player).

By using the hook as a starting place and then
building/creating and then releasing that tension,
you make your solo block like a story with a
beginning, a middle and an ending... it's a
story... YOUR story.

My 2 cents.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.