Re: [Harp-L] Building Solos

----- Original Message ----- From: <dzeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 3:56 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Building Solos

From Chris Michalek:

"STOP listening to harmonica players. Most of them are not very good musicians. Try listening to guitars and saxaphones if you want to play differently."

It's funny, I read an interesting quote by Duane Allman (to another
guitarist)recently that was something along the lines of "for me, playing
guitar is not about guitar, it's about the harmonica." This was posted
somewhere on the Allman Bros website.
Most of Duane's memorable slide guitar solos (consider Statesboro Blues and
One Way Out, for example) can be duplicated almost note for note on harp:
he derived much inspiration from harpists.
Maybe the rule for musicians (corresponding with Chris' advice above)
should be: whatever your instument, listen to something else if you want
to develop a unique sound!
Hey, it certainly worked for Jason Ricci and Dennis Greunling, whose living
rooms are surely stacked with old Jazz saxaphone LPs!
Zig

Hi,
This kinda comes full circle because a good friend of mine, Sax Gordon, who is an amazing sax player, when we hung out some years ago actually told me he took a lot of stuff from harp players, and I said to him that is coming full circle because I take plenty of stuff from sax players as inspriation, much as did Little Walter. Just listening to other harp players and that's all just dooms you to play all the same cliches and never learn much beyond that, and never learn to develop your own unique sound. Many Albert King guitar solos can also be easily played on harmonica too, but I guess too many harp players fail to get the message loud and clear.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com