Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation and Difference Tones

----- Original Message ----- From: "fjm" <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "h-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation and Difference Tones

Sorry if i'm being repetitive, but..........
What is the difference in the sound that is produced between 7 limit JI and 19 limit JI? What was the Hohner tuning scheme used in harps in the days of LW, SB II, and WH ?

Hi,
It was DEFINITELY 7 limit JI, and the only diatonic presently using this is the Hering 1923 Vintage Harps. For traditional blues, especially when playing chords, the 7LJI sounds smoother and warmer and the 12TET chords tend to sound really harsh to my ears, and harmonica reeds tend to give off more overtones than most any other instrument, and I believe Pat Missin mentioned, if I'm not mistaken, many of those overtones, are of the odd numbered ones and odd numbered overtones usually sounds harsh to the human ear, much like the way distortion from many solid state amplifiers do because those are the overtones they emphasize (and tubes do the the opposite). Most people who are going to prefer the 12TET will usually be either the overblow players or those who play 99% linear in their approach with almost no chords or double stops.

The 19LJI was used by Hohner diatonics from about 1985-1989 (at least that's when those were here in the USA), but actually the Huang diatonics began using this when they first came out in the early 80's.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com