Re: [Harp-L] Overblow intonation

That's the real trick with overblows - trying to get them in tune. For most players, the overblow naturally pops in quite a bit flat and then you have to humor it up. I can play a 6 hole overblow and then bend it up in pitch a full semitone (maybe a bit more on a really well gapped harp). I still struggle a bit at times to nail the overblow spot on without having to slide into it, but I'm getting better at it all the time and probably hit them in tune more often then not, now. There are others who are much better at this, though. Chris Michalek, Rosco, and Allen Holmes, to name a few, can bend overblows up several semitones, and can hit them spot on most of the time. Of course, Howard Levy is not too shabby, either.

Overblowing techinique has come a long way in the past several years. It's been my experience that on the rare occasion that you hear a sour note by one of these elite players, it is usually a standard bend (like a 3 draw whole step bend) and that these guys tend to play overblows in tune (or perhaps slightly sharp).

Afterall, better sharp than out of tune, right?

Alec

P.S. - a good way to practice bending overblows up is with the coverplates off pressing on the blow reed with your finger.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:38:42 -0500

But during the preconcert talk, got a question about if I play diatonic with overblows and what I thought about it. I said that I was unable to play the overblows in tune and therefore found the diatonic not appropriate for the concerti I play since intonation is such a big part of classical music. Also, I mentioned that the concerti I play were written for chromatic which makes them unplayable on the diatonic.

The best I can do on say a hole 6 blow bend if the harp is tuned to 442 is about 430 calibrated. That makes the note so flat as to be unacceptable in the classical context. Now I don't know about jazz, but in classical music if you play that flat it sounds like a clam. Is there any way to blow this in tune, because I sure can't?

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio