Re: [Harp-L] position perception

> From: "ALEXANDER MAGER" <magerlab@xxxxxxxxxx>
> I usually play only C diatonic and it's easier for me to think about th
> e notes I play than to find out the position in wich I am at the certain song.
> For example, "Desafinado" I play in F major on C harp. And does it helps
> that it's 12th position?

  If you are going to use your C harp only, it doesn't matter much
  whichever you think: notes or position. Most chromatic harp players
  tend to think of notes, because they use the C harp only.

  However, if someday you are asked to play Desafinado in the key
  of F#, the easiest way is to get a Db harp, and play it like what you
  did before - same breathing patters, same bends. In this case, you are
  playing in different keys, different notes, but the same position.

  With the aid of bends and overblows (or whatever technique to
  achieve 12 tones), we can play virtually any mode in any position.
  Some are harder(errr.... much harder) though.

  There are natural modes for certain positions, like Ionian(Major
  scale) in 1st, Mixolydian in 2nd, Dorian in 3rd and so on. They
  are the most intuitive scales in that position, and usually the
easiest.
  We tend to think of position-mode relationships, but we should also
  keep in mind, that it ain't necessarily so :-)

  Regards,
  Nidalap :D~

--
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.