Re: [Harp-L] Help a learner

By the way, if you start at D and count up five steps (D-E-F-G-A) you
arrive at A, which is second position. Count up five more steps
(A-B-C-D-E) and you arrive at third position. Keep counting up five
steps and you get all 12 positions.

Third position, E on a D harmonica, has a home chord in Draw 4-5-6 and
8-9-10. The scale has a flat 7th and a flat 3rd, known as the Dorian
mode. A lot of SCottish and Irish tunes use this scale, in various
keys. The Sailor's wife, Johnny Wilmot's Fiddle, the Warlock, Sleep
Soond in da morning, King George the IVth, Fingal's Cave, Andy
Renwick's Ferret, I lost my love, There Came a Young Man, Drummond
Castle, Eilean beag donn a' chuain, among many others.

Winslow

There's a note about positions in trad. Irish here: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica/page6.html as well as a list of 60 relatively common tunes each marked with the harp key I use and the position in which the tune is played on that harp.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm