Re: [Harp-L] Generating your won tab (was Help a learner)

--- Barbara Butler <bsvb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, March 7, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:
>
> Barbara Butler wrote:

> I usually  generate my  own Tab  from sheet music using Charles
> Potter's
> Tab-Slide Guide available from Coast 2 Coast at
> http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/CPTSG.html    This works
> great
> for diatonics ( even Paddy Richter if you make a note on the guide)

This is actually a far better approach than readymade tab.

For one thing, you can verify the accuracy of the results.

For another, you learn several things:

- how to translate notation into tab (eventually you can do it in your
head)

- Where the notes are on the harmonica

- how each position works on the harmonica

- how to relate what you hear to what you play

Eventually you internatize all these things and have no need to think
about tab or do the tedious tab writing. This will come much faster if
you do your own tab than if you just read from tabbed music.

Winslow