Re: Re; [Harp-L] Position Perception

Chris Michalek wrote:

With the harmonica, there is nothing to feel or see. There is only sound.

This is simply not true. The harmonica is in your mouth. You use your tongue. Think about which part of your body you'd rather have a bad burn on, hands or mouth/tongue? Mouths do not have a deficit when it comes to nerve endings. Many of the hidden things we do with playing harmonica, vibrato, bends, overbends, etc have a lot in common with speech. We don't complain we can't talk because we can't see how to do it. Harmonica may be difficult to teach because we lack an approach and it isn't something we can visually observe in any meaningful sense but that is not at all the same thing as saying harmonica playing doesn't have a tactile feedback loop.

Sure, you hit a key on a piano and you get sound. The same thing is basically true for harmonica, draw a breath you'll get sound. Many other wind instruments strike me as initially more difficult to play than harmonica, clarinet, trumpet, trombone.

The deficit with harmonica is in instruction. Speech pathologists deal with harmonica type issues all the time. I recently got ahold of Margaret Price sings Mozart. I can't imagine that singing opera at her level of acheivement is any more difficult than playing harmonica really well. The difference is formal training and hundreds of years of thought and eveloved process.

fjm