[Harp-L] Quick Bassman Ltd Review

First off, let me say that my opinions of this amp are my fist impressions and I have not had it long enough to come up with a final opinion.

I recieved my Bassman Ltd this weekend in its orginal packaging.  There have been no mods or changes to it.  I don't use bullet mics much at all, and have tried the amp with a sm 57 and an Audix OM-5.  My statements are about the amp in comparison to my sound through other amps that I have like for their break up, etc.

My initial impression is poor.  I don't get any enjoyable break up and I get a mess of feedback under similar conditions to the use of other amps that were fine.

Maybe I am attacking the whole thing wrong, but I am getting no "harp" tone from it.  It is very warm, but I am having a hard time getting real distortion.  I get a compressed sound, but nothing like the break up I hear when other guys play through Bassman.  Knowing I was using a "clean" mic, I tried running through my Harp Commander to boost the signal, but again was not impressed.  As a matter of fact, the HC sounds much better to my ears through a PA then the Bassman has.

I tried a 12ay7 in the first gain stage (to hopefully get a different sound and more volume), and played through Normal channel one.  I didn't think much of the volume I could reach (my small Bronson amp had more volume before feedback), and again I had a warm sound, but no real guts.  Tomorrow I'll try some more tube combinations, but after looking at the archives it seems the Groove tubes and switching the first tube should at least give me something to start with.

I am seriously considering getting rid of this amp.  I am not looking to put a ton of money into modding it.  I want something loud with a lot of break up from the amp and not from the mic I use.

I am open to suggestions.  I've played through three of the old Reissues.  One pretty much unmodded, one heavily modded, and one of Jason Ricci's.  They all sound way better then mine.

Help!!!!

Mike

Mike Fugazzi
"Nite Rail"